Sara and I finally made it to Les Deux!!!! Frequented by the Hills cast!!!

First time seeing the Hollywood sign!

My Mom always used to tell me to live in the moment and enjoy every minute of everyday because time FLIES! Boy was she right. I literally blinked and it was my senior year of college...and then I blinked again and it was graduation day! HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? Senior year of college was probably the best year of my life thus far! I lived with my friends, my family was a short 20 minute drive away, everybody I loved was a text or phone call away! I had 4 classes a week with the earliest one starting at 12:30, a "free" gym in walking distance, and a place to hang out 24/7. My life was pretty, dare I say, perfect. And then May 31st, 2009 rolled around and there was Greg 81, popped collar douche-baggery and all, on OUR front stoop with his mattress ready to move into OUR house!! How RUDE!! Anyway--what I am saying is my "perfect" life was over in one blink! It was time to move back home with the family, doing stupid chores, telling my Mom when I got home at night, using our stupid old slow computer, AND sharing a double bed with my 11 year old sister. awesome. Needless to say I was not a happy camper and to make matters worse, a best friend, Sara, was moving to MY dream location to begin her life in MY dream career field! What was I going to do?
Well, I decided to bite the bullet and leave everything I have ever known to move to a place where I have never been, to begin my life as an "adult." I had about $10,000 in savings, no car, no computer, no job lined up, and a 2 month sublet for WAY too much money. So I packed up three suitcases and flew out to LA August 12th with another best friend, Veronica. I was very lucky to have Sara! She had been in L.A. for almost a month and a half and was beginning to know her way around and teach me the ways of LA. I was also very lucky to have Veronica to make the transition with. I wasn't just leaving home...a piece of it was coming with me to help me with my move...and then 5 days later...leaving.
The first few days here with Veronica were filled with the typical Hollywood touristy things--Star tours, eating where the celebs ate, going to the beach, etc. When she left Sara was still working at Hallmark so my days consisted of me walking to the library a half mile away using the computer for a couple hours looking for jobs, stalking people on the facebook, the ush. Then walking home and waiting for Sara to get home to have some social interaction! haha. This is what I did everyday for two weeks until Sara's internship was over. After that Sara and I hit the pavement hard looking for jobs in downtown Burbank--all walking distance away (we didnt have a car). These two weeks were extremely rough, frustrating, and discouraging. I was beginning to wonder what I was doing out here and really second guessing my decision to come out so soon. Not only was I applying to at least 3 jobs a day at a restaurant or retail store but I was also applying for at least 10 Production Assistant jobs a day. I wasn't hearing back from anybody.
With the savings I had, I decided to buy a car-you NEED a car in LA! You just can't get around it. This is the biggest purchase I have ever made and it was really difficult to make. I didn't have a lot of money to spend on it but knew I needed to get one. After about of month and a half of searching and researching, I finally bought a silver 2001 Volvo S40 for $4,000. Not too bad, right? I love it!
I finally, after about applying for 100 PA (production assistant) jobs, heard back from a producer at the end of September who was in between shooting movies and really needed a second pair of hands (aka a bitch) to help him out. I got an interview and then GOT THE JOB! Well, technically it is a part time paid post production internship. But it will be a resume booster, the producer knows people in the industry, and the coolest part of all--I am getting a PA credit in the film!! The duties include: waiting around for a phone call/text/email from the producer, Brett, telling me what he needs.
--So far I have met him at 2 restaurants while he was having lunch to pick up checks to run various places, I have mailed things for him, made phone calls to various crew members to tell new information about the project, I have called SAG, the production accountant, casting director, the editor, blah blah blah. So pretty important stuff. haha.
Brett-He is 27, kind of good looking--I feel like he is the kind of guy that would be really hot if you got to know him better--like his personality would make him hotter. He is really nice and easy going and understands that I am extremely new to all this stuff so isn't too hard on me. oh..and he is from Dallas, Texas, which makes him a COWBOY FAN!! holllla!
The coolest thing that has happened so far while working under him was when he called me to let me know that he was taking a red-eye out to New York to meet with Josh, so he wouldn't be around for a couple of days. Soo...who is this Josh you ask? and why did I think this was so cool? Because he was going to meet with Josh HARTNETT---who will be starring in his next film, "Ham Lake." Not only was it really cool that he was going to meet with Josh but it just seemed so Hollywood to be taking a red-eye at the last minute to go meet with a celeb!! ahh the life.
This made me feel a lot better--now that I had SOMETHING!! I am only making $100 a week but I probably work a total of 4 hours a week. So it is a pretty sweet deal.
Sara and I also decided to sign up for extra's casting agencies...apparently it is a great and easy way to make money out here. So far I have extra-ed on HBO's "Big Love" and a new judge show, "America's Court." I am in episode 4 of "Big Love" and the pilot of "America's Court." Hopefully we will get more work soon!!
So now--October 10th, 2009: Sara and I are moving out of our lovely fully furnished 2 bedroom condo that we had all to ourselves into a basement of some lady's house. It is a great deal (2 bedroom, furnished, comes with an ab machine and pool table, all utilities included for $700 a month). The only problem is--we don't have our own bathroom and...WE ARE LIVING IN A BASEMENT!! This means no windows and no private entrance. so basically...a dungeon. However, despite all of the flaws, I am excited to move in and make it our own. I will reallllly miss this condo but we aren't moving too far away and this condo is just too dang expensive!
We took some stuff over today but will fully move in on Monday, the 12th. Yikes!
I hope the next 6 months are better than the past 2--job wise anyway! Because I have had the time of my life otherwise.




No comments:
Post a Comment